Friday, February 25, 2011

Can You Hear the Music?

Some can hear the music; others cannot. August Rush is an improbable, yet moving story of three musicians who acted under impulse and were separated in time and space by events and circumstances beyond their own choosing. Each in his own way could hear the music, one as a child prodigy.

Somehow each was drawn to the music of the other in a mystical way. In the end there is intimation of reunion.

I do not call myself a musician. Yet in my family of origin and in the family that my wife and I created, there are those who hear the music. Some are able to express that music creatively and movingly. Others of us, as my college roommate suggested, "play for our own amazement."

I am reminded of a different kind of music. Call it celestial music, if you will. It is the voice of God that flows ceaselessly from the galaxies, from the wind, and, in time, from the first cry of one's own flesh and blood. And in these last days, it flows from His Son.

Not all can hear the music. Some ferociously and vociferously reject it. Others seem mostly oblivious to it. But here and there, all across the globe and the sands of time, there are some who hear the call of the music. They are drawn irresistibly to it. And they find community with those who, like them, have heard its irresistible harmony and melody, and have embraced it.


No comments: